Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
Eh, it's obviously not WH40K, but more magitech with a splash of weird.

Still, it earned points for me by being at least not a direct BG2 clon-, ahem, I mean, homage, and trying a few new things.
I mean, I wasn't expecting it to be 40k, and I get that some of it is tied into the entire idea of cyphers as one shot items. I was just using 40k as a good example of technomysticism.

Also while it might not be a BG2 clone in the same way Pillars of Eternity is, it's very much a D&D clone in a skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
.....*looks at the videogame preview on steam*

wow, its even worse than the ttrpg. the ttrpg at least has a cool sleek post-apocalyptic nanotech aesthetic and vibe, but this takes a fantasy setting and slaps on some random tech bits with no consistency. bleh. no surprise though, Monte Cook was never anything but a creator of DnD. like the Numenera ttrpg at least looks freaking good, really good art, even if its just a DnD clone, but Torment Numenera doesn't even look its trying. like even if I was never going to use the system or anything, or the exact setting I like the ideas and vibe the ttrpg was going for? but this just no, just ugh. Whats this aesthetic? Why. this doesn't look like the Numenera of the ttrpg, or did they pick the literal worst screenshots for showing this world's aesthetic? wheres the nice silvery tech, immaculate floating spires in green wilderness, the ruins of cool rings everywhere? wheres the sense that there used to be some Culture-like society that fell? why does it just look like fantasy with some metal bits slapped on? whatever I was picturing of this world, this wasn't it.
There's times where it definitely works, but early on at least it doesn't seem to move much from Yet Another D&D Fantasy. Cool bits like government buildings being derelict spaceships, but even that has to be pointed out.

Like, as a successor to Planescape: Torment it's just not weird enough. Once you realise it's D&D fantasy it becomes comfortable, whereas P:T and Disco Elysium have that recurring sense of 'not how it's supposed to be'.

The tabletop game has two big advantages. First, I can easily just add to it if I ever run it, especially as I have both The Strange and the Cypher 2e book. I can enhance the great aesthetic by occasionally throwing in a shiny laser rifle or a treasure of diamond data discs (useless to most PCs, invaluable to an organisation like the Order of Truth). The Cypher system is also genuinely solid and a legitimate attempt at innovation, although that also means it's not for everybody. I'd argue it's more similar mechanically to Nobilis than D&D, Pools and Edge are nearly identical to it's MP and Stats, just with a random element thrown in and stats suited to fantasy adventure rather than godly tea parties (and uses a difficulty ladder whereas Nobilis and it's spinoffs use an action/effect ladder).

The art is amazing, and I want to play in that world, not D&D with a coat of paint.