Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
That honestly surprises me, and frankly I don't see how its enforceable.

It's a real GW army, not some easily dismissed home-brew nonsense, and maybe it is a bit wonky and its being dropped into a relatively new (if you count the way that most people haven't been able to play it for the first 2 years) edition, but... so what? Who gets to say that an army is 'too good'? What makes them think they can stop people from playing the type of army they wanted? They couldn't (or at least, didn't?) do it when Tau-Dar were winning 90% of tournaments in 6th and 7th edition, so why do they get to do it now before anything has been proven?

I suppose the argument is, we've been through the Tau-Dar supremacy and we don't want it back - more to the point, we don't want the kind of meta that will arise to combat it, not just because its not fun but also because its a big shift from the current meta and people just don't have the money, time or inclination to catch up again. I would agree with all that.

At the same time, it feels... Selfish, to me? Despite the promise of preservation, there's also more than a little bit of "I'm happy with the way the game is now, but you're not allowed to play the game the way that makes you happy".

I haven't seen a single new-codex prediction that has turned out 100% correct. At least let people play a few tournaments and see if the math-hammer stands up before making them verboten - who knows, maybe they'll even ENJOY a new challenge every once in while instead of just the same solved archetypes?
I mean, it's very easy to enforce. You just reject lists that are using Voltan units. It's so easy you could write a computer program to do it for you.

And they did effectively do that back in 6th and 7th. It was called the ITC ruleset. Which took a different approach to the problem, instead tackling the base rules to make a better game rather than the offending codexes. But the ITC is a really big deal considering it is effectively using fan rules instead of official GW rules.

Also this is one of the few times they could actually ban it and it not screw people over. No one actually has Voltan armies yet. Which is the big difference. This isn't 'your favorite army is finally good', this is 'this brand new thing no one has completely breaks the game.' And it's very easy to tell. And it isn't just math hammer. The rules are out and people are testing them via proxies and like. And Voltan are insane. And much like Iron Hands last edition, they are just as bad as predicated. Which would be a case where the prediction was 100% correct.