Quote Originally Posted by Seekergeek View Post
I really personally don’t understand the constant griping about changes to the monsters, races, gods, or settings that each new edition faces. When 3e came out people griped in my local shop, when 4e came out, I griped, myself and then simply didn’t play 4th. Now 5th is enjoying the same thing. Why would you want them to port over the old editions? If you prefer it, just play the old edition…something new is meant to be something new. If you don’t like it on its own merits that’s 100% different but if you don’t like it because it isn’t the same as what was published in the 80s…I don’t understand why you are playing the new system.
I find it hard to wrap my mind around the concept that anyone finds it hard to wrap their mind around the concept that people expect "new edition of the same game" to imply rule-based changes ("this is how a baaz draconian's turning to stone on death works in a system where 'successful Dexterity check with a -3 penalty' is incoherent") and not story-based changes ("get that 'baaz' stuff out of here, foot soldier draconians turn into petrification gas when they die"), so I guess we're even there.