View Single Post

Thread: Small multiverses in fiction.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Small multiverses in fiction.

Long ago, In a galaxy far, far away... Nope, it wasn't in this universe at all, there is no "Force" here. Why is the real universe so durn tooting huge? We don't need it to be so big for anything we plan to do, ever, and it's not going to last forever anyway (probably).

So, for stories, I suggest small multiverses, say seven universes with seven stellar systems in each one, with gates between places that take you to any one destination within the multiverse for any particular gate, there's a gate at the exit, but it doesn't necessarily take you back, if it does, you can see through, if not it's blank. My gates are too small for an adult elephant to go through, even squirming, not that elephants squirm much. I'm thinking maybe three or so habitable planets per stellar system at most. All of the stars in one universe should be close together, within say ten light years of the nearest, but the geometry between them would vary, and dim stars might not be visible from any other system.

There are multiple multiverses, because in one magic exists, in that one each universe has different levels of magic, one nothing, one super powerful, the rest in grades in between, no two the same. Another multiverse, all the planetary and bigger bodies are alive, and talk to the characters, and do things, but are limited by their physicalities, they are not gods though they may claim to be. In a third multiverse, there are gods. In a fourth, there is one god called Enid who is in control of everything. In a fifth, there is no magic and no gods. There may be other multiverses.

These multiverses are good for stories of travel, and returning home by long journeys, maybe quests, they are probably not so good for wars.

I want to read these stories, but I don't have much inclination to write them, and I don't have the time to write all of them, obviously anyone can change these multiverses then write their own stories, I might write some of mine one day, so don't use them as is or there might be conflict, but altered versions should be fine (I am not a lawyer, and this is not qualified legal advice).
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-09-26 at 10:36 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.