Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
I'm...not sure where you get this idea?

The point of competitive play is to compete.

You're gonna have to expand on this because as written it makes no sense to me at all.
Given the games Metro is referring to, its probable he is referring to things like the smogon tiers of pokemon or the omega stages in smash.

competitive anything likes to decrease the amount of random chance is involved in any competition to focus on skill over some random happenstance or some cheesy/cheap strategy that doesn't actually demonstrate skill.

in pokemon this is the pokemon selection, as the top tier pokemon outdo lower tier pokemon at everything. so a certain tournament will only focus on a certain tier and disallow for anything else as allowing all pokemon will only make everyone there go for the strongest pokemon in existence. without it, the choices and matchup are more homogenous than if they limit the selection because otherwise its all the same pokemon.

in smash, this making the sure the stage has zero hazards and no items. which is why things like battlefield and final destination were so popular before all the stages got omega versions, because those were the most neutral stages to fight on.

I'm guessing Metro simply wants people to play casually without bothering with such limitations and accepting that whatever happens, happens.