1. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest XXXIII: Bigger is Better

This is a subclass for my recent homebrew base class entry, The Cleaner.
    It still needs to be polished up a bit itself, but there's the link for reference. Thank you!

Field Technician
    You've decided to take on a heavy duty and dangerous career. The type of hardware you work with would leave most people scratching their heads, and the rest losing their heads... literally. You know the ins and outs of this heavy equipment such that you can modify the technology to accomplish various effects. These appliances can be controlled from a distance and ridden on as well as being able to process autonomous decision-making.

Bonus Proficiency
    When you accept the Walk of Field Technician at level 3, you know how to repair and operate every piece of equipment you might find yourself working with. You gain proficiency with Smith's tools and Vehicles (land).

Safety First!
    Also at 3rd level, you keep all of your personal protective equipment nearby. Anything could happen at any time when you're working with machinery and you need to stay safe. You gain proficiency with medium armor and shields.

Burst of Productivity: Powered Industrial Truck (P.I.T.)
    At 3rd level, you have learned how to create a Powered Industrial Truck. Using smith's tools, you can take an action to magically create a Medium P.I.T. in an unoccupied space on a horizontal surface within 5 feet of you. It completely occupies its space. Once you create a P.I.T. you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest. You can have only one at a time and can't create one while your P.I.T. is present. It disappears after one hour.

You can program it to be friendly to you and your companions, and it obeys your commands. See its game statistics in the Powered Industrial Truck stat block, which uses your proficiency bonus (PB) in several places. You determine its appearance and whether it has four wheels or four legs. You or a friendly companion may ride the P.I.T. without affecting any of its movement or actions. While riding on it, you benefit from half cover and don’t need to make a saving throw against any of the P.I.T.’s effects (except Malfunction). When the P.I.T. forces a creature to make a saving throw, the DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

In combat, the P.I.T. does not take any actions of its own. On each of your turns, you can take a bonus action to cause the P.I.T. to activate if you are within 1000 feet of it. As a part of this bonus action, the P.I.T. can move up to its speed and take an action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. However, it can use its reaction on its own.

You know a number of effects that your P.I.T. can be programmed with. The effect is automatically available for the P.I.T. once you have created it with your Burst of Productivity. Upon completing a short or long rest, you choose which one of the following effects to program ahead of time:

• Auto-Pilot (Passive): The P.I.T. will automatically move to and attack the most recent target of your attacks without requiring the use of your bonus action. It shares your initiative count, but it takes its turn immediately after yours. If you are incapacitated, the P.I.T. will continue to move and attack on its own, but can take no other actions.
    • Discharge: The P.I.T. launches a luminescent spray. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot-radius for 1 minute. Any attack roll against an affected creature has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature can’t benefit from being invisible.
    • Electromagnetic Pulse: The P.I.T. releases a shockwave. Each other creature within a 10-foot-radius sphere must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed. A creature made of inorganic material has disadvantage on this saving throw. This effect’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 6th level, 11th level, and 17th level.
    • Nullify: The P.I.T. creates and maintains a 10-foot-radius of complete silence centered on itself for the rest of its duration. No sound can be created within or pass through the area. Casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there. You can end it at any time (requires no action).
    • Overheat: The P.I.T. creates a 20-foot-radius sphere of smoke centered on the P.I.T. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for 10 minutes or until a wind of moderate or greater speed disperses it.
    • Shipment (Passive): The P.I.T. can hold up to 500 pounds for its full duration. If more weight is placed on, it takes 1d6 damage for each additional 10 pounds. It takes this damage each turn.
    • Vibration: The P.I.T. causes a tremor in the ground in a 10-foot-radius. Each other creature in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d6 bludgeoning damage and is knocked prone. If the ground in that area is loose earth or stone, it becomes difficult terrain until cleared. This effect’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 6th level, 11th level, and 17th level.

Observation
    At 6th level, you have learned to program your P.I.T. with a surveillance system. This is often used for transporting equipment through hazardous areas. As an action, you can see and hear from the location of your P.I.T. with a radius of 60 feet as long as you are within 1000 feet of it. During this time, you are deafened and blinded. You can activate this effect as many times as you like during the P.I.T.'s duration, and you can end the effect at any time (requires no action).

Manufacturing Upgrade
    At 10th level, you have improved your equipment to allow for more powerful and much faster production. Your P.I.T. now has an increased speed of 40 feet. You can also choose to make it Large and, if you do so, it has a reach of 10 feet.

In addition, you can use your smith’s tools as an action to repair it, provided you are within 5 feet of it and haven’t exceeded its initial hour. At the beginning of your next turn, the P.I.T. returns to life with all its hit points. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Operating System
    At 14th level, you have developed a greater understanding of your P.I.T.’s internal systems. After completing a short or long rest, you can now choose two effects to program.

In addition, you and any allies within 10 feet of your P.I.T. benefit from half cover, as long as it is still active. This does not include the P.I.T. itself.

POWERED INDUSTRIAL TRUCK

Medium Construct (Large)
    Armor Class 14 + PB (natural armor)
    Hit Points 5 + five times your cleaner level (the P.I.T. has a number of Hit Dice [d8s] equal to your cleaner level)
    Speed 20 ft. (40ft.)
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    16 (+3) 10 (+0) 16 (+3) 4 (-3) 10 (0) 6 (-2)

Saving Throws Str + 3 plus PB, Con + 3 plus PB
    Skills Athletics + 3 plus PB, Perception + PB
    Damage Immunities poison
    Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, paralysis, poisoned, sleep
    Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10 + PB
    Languages understands the languages you speak
    Challenge -- Proficiency Bonus (PB) equals your bonus
    All Terrain Vehicle. Moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs the P.I.T. no extra movement.

Arcane Aura. The magical and electrical design of the P.I.T. allows it to gain the benefit of the detect magic spell at all times centered on the P.I.T. with a 10-foot-radius.

Overrun. If the P.I.T. moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a collision attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
    ACTIONS
    Collision. Melee Weapon Attack: your attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft. (10 ft.), one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 + PB piercing or bludgeoning damage (your choice).

Reconstruction (once). The P.I.T. can rapidly restore most of its physical form. After taking this action, the P.I.T. regains a number of hit points equal to three times your cleaner level.

Programmed Effect (once). Activate the effect that you programmed for the P.I.T. at the end of your most recent rest. When you are able to program two effects at 14th level, each one can be used once.
    REACTION
    Malfunction (once). Upon taking damage that would reduce the P.I.T. to 0 hp, it can use its reaction to self-destruct. Doing so destroys the P.I.T. and forces each creature within 20 feet of it (including the rider) to make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 1d8 fire damage and 1d8 force damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful one. This demolishes the P.I.T. beyond repair, including the use of your smith’s tools. You can also trigger this as one of its actions, but it can’t do so without your command. Each damage type increases by 1d8 when you reach 6th level, 11th level, and 17th level.

Spoiler: Changelog
    Show

10/4/22: Working concept is based on my Cleaner base class entry that utilizes large cleaning equipment... as a mount! probably
    10/7/22: I have a Field Technician on the way! It kind of fits for an Artificer subclass, but it shares too many similar features to Artillerist and Battle Smith. Sticking with my Cleaner for now.
    10/10/22: Dropping my full subclass in here with all the base information needed. Still needs a fair amount of touching up.
    10/13/22: I made some flavor text updates, standardized Safety First, and added to the list of programmable effects.
    Last edited by animorte; 2022-10-13 at 12:09 AM.