Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
Of course, the dynamic here, regarding his relationship with Elliot is incredibly simple. Elliot's a baker/bouncer. He can find work anywhere and so far as we know has no strong ties to the city. Actually, now that I think about it, that's a general oddity regarding QC. It's a story that is ultimately about townies in a college town (this point was even made in-comic regarding Marten), but very few of the characters have any deep connection to the town of Northampton at all, and it seems the first major character to move away, Claire, will be one of the very few who does (Angus doesn't count as a major character).
It kind of makes sense because until now, most of the main characters moved TO Northampton from elsewhere, for various reasons. Marten following a girl (who was attending SMIF, I think?), Dora to set up her business in a place with notably cheaper rent than elsewhere, Hannelore because its relatively quiet and none-intrusive for her OCD, and Faye because it was as far removed from Hicksville, Texas and her traumatic past as geographically, culturally, and humanly different as possible.

It's only recently that the new generation of characters, all of which notably younger than Marten, Faye and Dora, have been met on the 'home turf' and their futures involve moving away, just like the A-cast did at their age. It's almost like a prequel, we're seeing the part that happened before QC The Comic started.

It will be interesting to see how the conversation between Elliot and Clinton is handled over the next couple of days, though. Claire interned in an all-female college library and then almost reluctantly became a part-time barista and everyone has spent ~50 comics telling her how great she's be as Director of IS (or whatever it turns out to be, I don't think even Cubetown really knows yet...), but Elliot actually seems shocked that Clinton - the guy with a degree in AI studies - would want to go and live in an AI-run town.

Then again, Elliot is both neurotic and not often portrayed as being very bright, so maybe it also makes perfect sense.