1. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: This Is The Flakiest Players Have Been From Roll20

Quote Originally Posted by FireJustice View Post
    dude, i'm going to level with you.

15 years ago.
    RPG used to be something that people had way more time to put into.
    yeah, funny enough, there were almost no online tools, voice chat was a legend, etc.

today, people have way to much stuff to get distracted or more work to do.

That being said, as someone who played since i was 14's (36 now... gosh i'm old). I still play in person, but nevermore online.
    used to be the opposite.

now there's not much reason to plan entire campaigns, people are fiddler
    most systems (d&d for example) have way to much information for online play, people don't care, yeah waste of time setuping many characters to no player showing up.

Anyway, the change in the status quo.
    new public and tools dissonance.
    and lots and lots and lots of false expectations.
    Come on
    I never played like stranger things or the big bang theory or vox machina
    all those cenários have parts that are completely unfun for players, or unrealistic to pull off

so where I end my rant?
    play with live people that you know.
    It's a freaking blessing

I wont touch online campaigns for years now, not even with a 10' pole

also, not your fault really
    To me, this looks rushed out, and from an information silo. Basically no one has "people they know" to play with. Many many people play online or meet people online, and lots and lots of older players met most people at the LGS or recruited from an afterschool hobby thing at HS, CC or Uni.

You might as well be saying you don't trust 90% of people and that I might as well not play since I almost never play with people I live near.

>"You can't plan long term"
    I know for a fact this is nonsense. You're going to meet unhelpful people in person too. Finding players is like dating.

I'm married, I've been in this relationship for six years. I have an insane number of dead relationships and blind dates, and all of that stuff behind me.

I've had so far six very very good veteran players, who all played 12-24 months each. I didn't meet these people in person, I didn't meet my wife at first, in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Yeah ... trying to game live with people I know is a non-starter for me. Since maybe shortly after college. They're all flakes when it comes to say meeting once or twice a month for a year.

Run an open table west marches game in your local game store(s) is my advice.

during 4e, I volunteered to run a few official play games at a local store, to get back into the scene after a late 3e hiatus. The other guys running the scene had a local email distro for a once a week AL game, first come until table full game. That was awesome. Game stores are still a great resource for meeting dedicated gamers even if you don't actually run games there long term. ("People I know" generally aren't dedicated gamers.)
    This is certainly better advice, but it's completely unhelpful to me.

I am an educator in training, and I travel enough as is.

I've met Loco people at the LGS and online. Only one of these places can you crush them into dust and banish them from your life with two clicks.

Doesn't help that I run my own system. I thought I said that a few times? Are you talking to someone else?
    Last edited by Tevo77777; 2022-11-09 at 04:01 PM.
    If I ever think that I've gone too far in my Homebrew, I can just think about how Kane0 isn't considered crazy, so why would I be considered so?
    -
    D20 Modern's handling of shotguns is the perfect case of not balancing for fun OR realism OR efficiency.
    -
    Where would I go to get people to test mechanics? Reddit?