View Single Post

Thread: Children of the depth

1. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Children of the depth

I'm coming up with 35, less whatever penalties are appropriate for the Tattoos and the Mute. After the revisions this race is probably fine, although I still think Mute is going to make it difficult to incorporate them into a party that is not exclusively Children of the depth.

The imperial system is a bit of a mess because the small units are roughly based on human body size (an inch is about the length of a thumb, a foot is about the length of a foot, a yard is about the length of an arm). I think the word mile is based on a Roman unit of distance based on 1,000 steps, but I do not think the standard mile actually matches the size of that unit and I do not know what it is actually based on. The ratios between all of these units make no sense because they were all established more or less independently. The original meter was based on a fraction of the circumference of the earth, which really is not any better as a basis for length measurements, but having all length unit conversions be just powers of 10 is soo much better than the imperial system. And the current meter is based on a set number of wavelengths of a certain frequency of light, which while it is very arbitrary it does tie the meter to a reproducible physical constant. I am irritated that the US government caved to pressure and abandoned the half-hearted attempt they made to convert the country to the metric system when I was a child. Being one of the few places in the world that uses an outdated and illogical measurement system instead of the logical world standard does us no favors.

If you need a frame of reference to convert feet into meters so it is easier to wrap your head around, 3 meters is almost exactly 10 feet (~1.6% error). Although for balancing things in the game it is more important that the numbers line up to comparable things in the system than that the numbers make sense from a real world point of view.
    Last edited by kosh49; 2022-11-28 at 10:45 PM.