1. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Power of One - A WFRP2e Solo Experience (OOC)

I'm flexible on it, but I do prefer the second option - a somewhat normalish start before being projected into more heroic/militant things. My big reason for removing the switching career XP cost was to enable a bit more freedom for this kind of thing; gamer senses always tingle with alarm when we are presented with an option that might, force us to spend extra resources for a diverse background instead of focusing hard on one niche. I just hard shifted my Brettonian knight over to Entertainer for 200XP in the game I'm in and it breaks my heart to see that XP go down the drain - but I wanted some of the things Entertainer offered (trick-riding chief among them) so I went for it. But I would have done it without blinking an eye if there wasn't a penalty discouraging it!

So I made the rules for this story to prevent any sense that, for example, "it would be more efficient for me to go into the right career to get to X right away instead of wasting time and XP in Y; even if I like some of that or it makes sense IC." You get all the story; a diversified portfolio may serve you very well especially since your helpers are going to be limited to those you hire, or befriend IC - some of whom I might permit to be played by other players just for some RP texture and, if Nameless goes her own way at the end of that adventure/contract, then that's the way it goes and that character will either go to a new thread for a spinoff or be retired. Mostly you're relying on your main character.

So for all those reasons, I think mechanically it makes sense to do an 'early' career and then change to a different one; start at farmer, then take up bounty hunting when you become restless after a year or two for example, sure. I also think that makes sense the way you've been playing Nameless - if you'd played her as more traumatized, twitchy and hostile to people, she might have accepted only the help she need then struck out into the world right away. But you seem to be happy to play her reveling in normalcy for a while - it's fine and good to play into that. It means your early 'quests' might be a little more Redridge than Burning Steppes, if you get my drift. A little more "Help, there's a pig in my garden! I dropped my necklace in the water! A rock fell on Barry, now he's stuck!" and a little less "We must kill Gorbag Nutsmasher before he overruns the capitol! You must find the dragon-spear! Duke Penderghast must be stopped!".

BuuuUUUUuuUUUuuut if I wanted to write the whole story I could be doing that; I'm facilitating for you. But that's my thoughts.

Timewise, I pictured that she was nabbed by Norscans at about age 5, sold to rats at about 7, and probably emerged at about age 17. But all that's foggy and adjustable, somewhat by design.

Edit: I certainly enjoy GMing slice-of-life, Nameless-Strives-To-Unlearn-Skavenisms type stuff. Knowing that there is definitely adventure and daring in the future, I like the contrast of the build; and I like your character making some attachments to people and getting grounded in the surface world before seeking out another purpose.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-11-30 at 07:48 AM.