View Single Post

Thread: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIV

1. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIV

Sieghard

Jak and Stela's conversation took a while, proceeding by meandering paths rather than getting straight to any particular point. Jak was full of news of how things were out in the Downs - it sounded like Brina and the others were making a decent go of things with their farmstead. Stela was more reluctant to talk about how things had been for her in the city. She clearly wasn't proud of the point her life had come to, but Jak wasn't tactful enough not to ask.

"What are you doing staying on in that place, sis? Did they threaten you? Did they hurt you?"

"It's work," said Stela, looking down at the ground. "It keeps a roof over my head."

"We had work before!" said Jak. "Not great work, but - "

"Things are changing faster than you know round here, Jak," said Stela. "The work we used to get down at the south gate, that's barely enough to eat. And we had a free roof over our heads then." She looked back south, down the bank towards the Cat. "It was this or end up slaving on the Tileans' fort over the bridge." She took a deep breath to calm herself. "They say they're working folks there straight into their graves. Mira told me, people like us can't afford to be proud. Better to be on your back than breaking it."

"You don't have to do either," said Jak, firmly. He took her hands in his. "Come with us. We're gathering up all the folks we left behind, here and in the forest. It's not much out west, but it's better than this."

Stela shook her head, still not meeting his gaze. "I can't, Jak. I owe... I owe people money, if I just up and go..."

"What people?"

"People who'll want it back. You growing gold crowns out there?" She looked at her brother with wide eyes, begging him to understand. "Madame F's a terror, but - she pays."

"What people?" Jak didn't seem like he was willing to let the matter go. Stela threw up her hands in frustration.

"Moneylenders, Jak! People who'll break more'n just noses if you go charging in at 'em." She put her hands over her face. "I want to come with you, Jak, I do - but I can't. I can't. Please, just - you've got to understand. You've got to go."
    Last edited by LCP; 2022-11-30 at 03:54 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X