View Single Post

Thread: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms [IC]

1. - Top - End - #28
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms [IC]

Whether the sound of rushing waters is your own blood pumping loudly in the tense moments after arrival or the nearby river is hard to tell. Judging that wait and see is the better course of action you all make as little movement as you can. A few moments pass and the sleepers on the ground are sleeping still while something else seems to have caught the attention of the scouts outside the camp. Though they are speaking in hushed voices they are close enough to make out their words.

“I’m tellin ya, it’s not supposed to get here till fourth bell. Ain’t light out enough for that.” One of them says, standing and pointing westward while the other squats. “Somethin’s comin for sure but it’s not our caravel. Ken you make out it’s colors? I can’t hardly see nothing in this gloom.” The accent places him from the Sword Coast islands, his words make him a sailor of some kind.

The figure squatting reaches out a hand to the earth to steady themselves before intoning a draconic ritual chant. “Yes, I can see their flag.” She says after a few moments. “They are not our charge but that which we were hired to defend against.” She says and sighs. “The ship is Baldur’s Beard but the flags are Luskan pirates. Colors of Ship Taerl. They’ll pass us soon.”

“May the bitch queen swallow them whole!” The sailor says and spits into the river below. “Goddamn it. When did they take the ship?” He says and shakes his head. “Better go wake up his highness and tell him the news.” The old sailor grunts and turns to head back to the glade but only gets a few paces when he stops in place and crouches down. “Uh…Sage, we got some company.” He says in a low voice on the off chance you haven’t seen or heard him.

“What?!” Sage says and whips around as she stands. It’s too dark to make out her expression but she takes a step back when she sees the group of you standing around her sleeping comrades. She raises her arm, making a fist and then flexing her fingers open. “Sleepers and strangers, be blind to all dangers.” She says with a quick rhyme incantation and the glade is suddenly filled with thick trees that block your sight and undergrowth that hides the ground from you. You can’t see more than five feet away from you and moving through the brush is difficult.

Spoiler: DC 20 Spellcraft check; open if successful
    Show
    You identify the spell as an Illusionary Terrain effect.

Spoiler: DC 20 Will Save; open if successful
    Show
    You recognize the trees and undergrowth as illusions and they do not interfere with your sight or movement.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2022-12-16 at 05:52 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.