I am finally getting the opportunity to play (I've been DMing for the past 5 years or so without getting a chance to be a character) and I've decided on a halfling wizard for RP reasons and because I think it will be fun.

Mechanically I'm thinking of putting my second highest score in Dex (we roll stats) and then with the +dex from halfling race and +1 to hit from size, ranged touch attacks should have a pretty decent chance of hitting.

I'm currently contemplating either specializing in divination and dropping evocation or specializing in transmutation and dropping evocation and enchantment. I've always been stuck playing blaster mages, and I thought it'd be fun to try this newer "direct damage is suboptimal" approach to wizards.

I'm thinking of spending my skill points on knowledge, concentration, decipher script, and then taking additional languages with the remaining skill points. While I know I could use magic to understand all languages, RP wise I think it would be cool if my diminuitive wizard actually knew a boatload of languages rather than having to rely on spellcasting. I'm aiming to make this guy a peacemaker who tries to make friends with all civilized races and learn about their culture and such.

I really am not sure how to spend my 1st level feat.

So, all in all, anything that sticks out as glaringly bad for my wizard here? Or any suggestions on what else I should do / might want to change? If it matters I'm going to be 1 PC of a 6 PC party, starting at 1st level, rolled stats, heavy RP campaign.

Ok, thanks.