Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
EDIT TO ADD: People are coming down really hard on WotC for the recent decisions that have been leaked. Which is fine, I hate some of those changes myself. But no one seems to be looking at the changing market and proposing ways for WotC to adapt and move forward. And they *must* adapt and move forward, not just for the health of the company, but for the health of the game.
It's a good point but... you're sort of barking up the wrong tree. The market changed, a while ago. WotC has just been behind the curve for a long time now. I have seen people offer suggestions in these various threads, for whatever its worth, but the problem is that we know this is all simply a strategy to get more money out of us. It has nothing to do with longevity or adaptation or the health of the game.

It is strictly a step by step process to funnel all the money, and more money, to Hasbro.

So... conversations about how to move forward with adaptation can be had. But now doesn't seem to be the time. Because there are currently people leading WotC that are interested in making as much money as possible RIGHT NOW, so they can claim a job well done and move onto their next gig. They are not interested in long term stuff, nor are they interested in stuff that isn't directly tied to extracting as much money as possible in the present.

For what it's worth, I'd be interested in AI DMs, and might pay a monthly subscription for something like that (depending obviously on how much it mapped to the real thing). But you can do that without a scorched earth approach. Still though, the idea that we're going to go from the cost of a campaign adventure to ~$150 each month (4 players, 1 DM) to play the same game is bonkers, unless it's a fully immersive VR simulation and WotC comes and installs all the haptic equipment in my gaming room themselves.