View Single Post

Thread: Official OGL Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Official OGL Discussion Thread

It might be the sleep deprivation talking but what does disagreeing with this bolded:

That's the whole point--what they have identified as 'core goals' are in competition with the best way to have a healthy TTRPG community. It's not a question of 'what we can get them to budge on', it's a question of why have they adopted these as core goals in the first place, given that they must do something bad for the community in order to achieve them?
    Have to do with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Speaking for myself, (without anyone putting words in my mouth):

As with the previous OGL, the current one include Wizards of the Coast's name. That means anyone releasing products under it will be including the license, and WotC's name, in their product. Simply put, WotC has the right to control which books reference their company by name. This clause gives them a means of defense if a reprehensible work does so. That's beneficial to any creator who is offering a license, including ORC if it were to somehow end up with Paizo's name at the top, not just WotC.
    Unless you're trying to argue that WotC deciding that it gets to be S&P for everyone who uses the OGL 1.2 is somehow good for the health of TTRPG community at large?
    Which, come to think of it, does kinda it fit with the idea that WotC=the TTRPG community.
    Last edited by Blackdrop; 2023-01-19 at 07:17 PM.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show