View Single Post

Thread: Official OGL Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Official OGL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Actually the current SRD is 5.1.

My main issue is 9(d) where Wizards has the express right to void the license whenever, for any or no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Ah, I'd not realized that about the current SRD.

As to 9(d), my understanding is that that's a bog-standard clause. It only triggers when a part of it is struck down by the courts and reserves the right to either cut that part out and enforce the rest or drop the whole thing (for a rewrite). That sort of clause is everywhere in most contracts so you don't get to defeat the whole thing by finding a hole in one little bit. Or if you can cut out the heart, you can't wear it as a skin-suit.
    9(d) might be standard but it is abusable with 7(a). Just modify a dynamic section to be unenforceable and then revoke the entire license.

6(f) allows it to be revoked and allows it to be abused.
    9(d) allows it to be revoked.
    7(a) is abusable*
    * I see a code injection abuse, I don't know if that would hold up in court or if it would trigger 9(d).
    3 + 9(e) could be reasonable or could be an exploit to limit accountability for plagiarism (and make plagiarism turn a profit).
    Edit: On a reread, 3 is reasonable. I thought it prevented punitive damages.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2023-01-19 at 09:05 PM.