View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1273 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1273 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Not recapping, analyzing. The take away is that the Big Showdowntm isn't going to work like when Serini ambushed the Order.
    There is some analyzing going on. But there is also a lot of telling-not-showing discussion of thing the comic showed-not-told not that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Arguably, "they" should never be used for the singular. That's not my opinion, but that's definitely a thing some people believe, are taught, and practice.
    [citation needed]. "They" has been an accepted, acceptable and simply correct means to indicate singular people of unknown gender since, I am told, Early English. But since I cannot for the life of me read that, here's Chaucer instead (from this page):

Prologue of the Pardoner’s Tale (circa 1380s):

“And whoso fyndeth hym out of swich blame, / They wol come up and offre a Goddés name”
    (“And whoso findeth him out of such blame, / They will come up and offer in God’s name”)
    (emphasis mine)

Some random 18th century prescriptivist grammarian does not constitute a higher authority on the usage of the English language and the singular "They" than Chaucer. (same for split infinitives, dangling participles, etc.)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2023-01-23 at 12:44 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est