View Single Post

Thread: Better alternative than stat-less races

1. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Better alternative than stat-less races

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Excepting the small ones like gnomes and hobbits, goblins and kobolds, etc, I agree.
    Personally, I wouldn't leave those out either. It may be less likely to find a very strong hobbit but is it impossible?

When discussing fantasy species there are two aspects that seem to get confused. There are the strengths and weaknesses of a specific species on average and then there are the abilities of a specific individual within that species.

The baseline bonuses for specific species (which are being phased out for player character creation) represent the averages for that species not the capabilities of any one individual.

Allowing player characters to choose which abilities to enhance is just allowing for individual variation within each species based on nature and the choices of the characters. Depending on the world building involved, each fantasy race could easily have the same potential as any other.

I don't see any issue with an individual kobold with a strength of 20 even if the average for the species might be a bit less.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2023-01-25 at 01:09 PM.