View Single Post

Thread: Better alternative than stat-less races

1. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Better alternative than stat-less races

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    I understand why: from a game-mechanicaly point, as long as there's a train of thought you should max out your main ability score ... then races not boosting said score simply won't be an option.
    Correct. There needs to be - unequivocally - something player-facing that says that having a stat higher than a 14 (+2) is kind of unnecessary, due to bounded accuracy. And what you should want is a more-rounded character with 14s in everything, rather than a 20 in one stat, and 10s in the rest (and at least a 12 in Dex and/or Con). And you need to design the entire game around having a 14 in every stat, which basically means re-writing all of the classes - and nope, not even 1DD hit the mark.

D&D lends itself to min-maxing. Some species aren't good for min-maxing. Therefore, some species aren't good, full stop.

You need to to remove the cause - not the symptom. You need to tell players that they don't want to min-max.

Imagine you want to make Auroth, a brutal Orc Sorcerer.
    Orcs don't get the sorcerer casting stat? too bad for you.
    You get Intimidation! I don't want Intimidation.
    You get Relentless Endurance! As a backline caster, I don't really need that.
    You get Savage Attacks! I said, as a backline caster, I don't really need that.

Yes, you can trade Intimidation for Persuasion or Deception, maybe. Sure. Fine. But the latter two abilities simply don't make sense for most Sorcerers, and so, there are simply other non-stat bonuses from other races that are just better for a Sorcerer. Not even counting the ASIs, Tieflings get Fire Resistance. Fire Resistance is incredibly helpful for most of Tier 2, and then some. Unless your DM is specifically removing fire-damaging creatures from their bestiary.

TL;DR
    I don't want Half-Orcs to lose +2 Str, +1 Con.
    I want Str and Con to matter for a Sorcerer. Or a Wizard. Or a Rogue...Or anything.

You have a Fighter with 8 (-1) Cha? Cool. You can't Taunt/Provoke. (In this case, all Fighters can Taunt/Provoke based on their CHA score...Fighters with a very high Cha score can Rally.)
    Your Barbarian has an 8 in Int? Well that sucks. Now you can't do the thing that Barbarians with at least a 12 in Int, can do.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2023-01-26 at 06:35 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome