1. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Reborn as a bunch of crows - Looking for crow myth/folklore to mine for ideas

Just started rewatching the anime Inuyasha, and one of the first demons the main characters encounter is a Shibugarasu (Carrion Crow, or Dancing Corpse Crow), which has three red eyes and hides in dead bodies (which it also fully capable of creating by biting someone's heart out), working them like puppets.

Japanese mythology also has Tengu, powerful warriors and tricksters that can change shapes between human, crow, and sometimes others.

EDIT:
    The Rainbow Crow is more mythological origin story than species, but could still serve as a source of inspiration. In the myth, the Crow is originally beautifully plumed with rainbow feathers, and possessed of a sweet and melodious singing voice, but sacrifices both carrying a torch (the smoke chars his feathers and dries his lungs and vocal chords) in order to relight the sun and end the winter that is killing all of the animals.

Learned something new today: while the myth is typically credited to the Lenape native american people, the Lenape-Nanticoke Museum denies that the Lenape are its source, and suggests that the story is a warped version of the Cherokee story "First Fire". This claim is supported by the fact that crows are not an important part of Lenape tradition, and that there are no records of the Rainbow Crow story prior to 1989.

In that story (or at least the first version I found when I googled it), Raven is the first animal to offer to retrieve the first fire to exist, but retreats in fright (without the fire) when his feathers are charred black by the smoke.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2023-01-29 at 04:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II