Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
I've suggested it in the past, but I'll offer it again: handle alignments as relationship scores with different deities. Lolth and Bahamut can both be fond of you, and maybe you figured out how to simultaneously get on Mystra's and Cyric's good side at the same time, but Helm absolutely hates you as does Vecna for some reason.

When a Paladin of Tyr uses their 'smite', it triggers on anyone Tyr is currently upset with. When a Cleric of Boccob uses Detect Evil it's really more like 'detect people who stand for things Boccob hates'. Paladins and Clerics of concepts get the same thing with regards to their specific concept, and if they pick something like 'Good' as the concept they have to define it, and that determines that their particular effects trigger on. So three Clerics of Good could cast Detect Evil on one target and get different results. But a particular Cleric of Good would consistently get the same result using it on a particular target (at least, on the short term).
I’ve done that before. And while it has more value than Alignment, it still never was worth the effort. I’m actually curious whether my current idea of a variant Alignment would be worth my effort to track.