View Single Post

Thread: Better alternative than stat-less races

1. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Better alternative than stat-less races

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Whether it is significant enough to merit a modifier is a difference of opinion/preference. I do not dispute that studies show a statistically significant difference in human sexual dimorphism. However I do not consider it significant enough to merit a modifier. We have an infinite expanse of non-human possibility, it is easy to imagine a species that I would consider merits a strength modifier even if I put the threshold above what human sexual dimorphism can reach. (For example, a Giant)

These are all good reasons as well. If I analyzed it further there would be many reasons behind my preference to set the threshold higher than human dimorphism can reach, but that is my preference. I have the infinite possibility space of non-humans, so having a higher threshold doesn't stop anything.
    That's not entirely correct, we have a reference in the game rules regarding about how much does a point of strength amount to, each point of strength represents about 30 pounds of deadlift. It'd be a matter of taking some statistics and applying some numbers.

However, I don't see a point in that. Gender shouldn't be a mechanical choice anymore than eye color, applying mechanics to it would mean that suddenly most characters of class X are either male or female because of min/max, I think that detracts from the game a bit.

Race (or species, ancestry, lineage, whateveryouwannacallit) on the other hand is not a stylistic choice anymore than what type of armor you wear.

I want my GWM Fighter to wear leather armor cause it looks cool, why do I have to be forced to put points in Dex penalized just to look cool while fighting?
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2023-02-03 at 05:00 PM.