Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
Seems like a lot of effort to say "play my way or get out".

I think adventurers, heroes and villains, are assumed by the base game to be rare among most settings so having a player with a halfling that starts with a 16 or 18 Strength easily, fits right in with that idea.

It's not that every halfling can be that strong, but a PC halfling? Certainly.

Honestly, for years now, I've been thinking of just scrapping the idea of race/species and just letting it be a "pick X number of features, tell me what your race is".

Like, have three columns you get a racial feature from each of the columns so you can mix and match whatever you want.
Sure. If you and your group are happy with cardboard settings. Whatever floats your boat. But as for me and mine, no thanks.

I don't really care about racial modifiers. I'm slightly in their favor, but only slightly. I don't think they're as important on either side as people make them out to be, and I think they add a small amount of flavor. So yeah. Not worth redoing.

That said, I am very strongly on favor of racial restrictions (restricting the set of playable races) and strong racial features and archetyping. The set of races and how they're part of the setting is a huge chunk of world building. Which is very firmly in the DM's, not the player's, hands. So I'm even more opposed to build a bear races than I am even build a bear classes, which I dislike quite a bit.