Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
Back to the OP referenced law and this explanation of it: I disagree strongly. New players will, given infinite time to plan and discuss, always charge in to a situation recklessly without any caution.

It's only after they've paid the price for that repeatedly that it changes.

Robin must have made this rule when TTRPGs were in its infancy and the rules made it incredibly easy to outright die even if you were very cautious and planned well, and players inevitably shifted to this style of play as a result. In most modern TTRPGs where death and other serious failures generally only happen if the GM throws you in a situation too deep, or gives you a situation too deep as one possibility out of several and you charge in recklessly, most players will never end up here.
And even for the latter they won't end up there, they'll generally instead resort to scouting things out a little to make sure it's not too much then go do something else if it is.
I've seen strong results the other way.

I had a party of 100% new players. Never played a TTRPG. These were adults who weren't gamers either. Basically 100% new to fantasy RPGs, the whole bit. Of all the groups that were presented with a simple challenge (get in, grab chalice off of table, get out), they were the only ones who cautiously approached every thing, took no chances, and completed the mission without setting off any alarms or triggering any traps.

I had lots of genre-savvy, experienced players who charged straight in, kicking down doors and setting off obvious traps. It's not new vs experienced, or even "CaW" vs "CaS". It's mostly down to individual play style.