It seems to me that sci fi ttrpgs lean far more heavily into race/ species variety and distinction. Starfinder has such a vast catalog and the differences go so much further than ability scores. Like, some races don't even have limbs or digits. My favorite is the Spathinae. The system does a good job of somehow not going overboard on racial traits, but still backing the narrative with a half dozen characteristics on top of stats.

Another sci fi game, shadowrun, doesn't have an expensive roster of options. In fact, it's more quintessential fantasy than D&D with humans, elves, dwarves, orks, trolls as the main core options. The metatypes, as they're called, open and restrict options. But I bring it up because shadowrun has one of the coolest concepts in the priority system. You have 5 categories during character creation. You have 5 priorities and no repeats. Your metatype will affect your PC more or less depending on what priority you give it. I.e. your dwarfiest dwarf PC will have a A or B metatype priority. For the player that doesn't care or wants to go a different route, they can skip the dwarf perks putting metatype priority low or last.