Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
If I'm creating a Half Orc Necro and intentionally don't make him as good at casting as I could, then as I understand/perceive/play that character, then he didn't put his all in that, there were choices when he went for something else. Then while he could tell others he did his best to be the greatest necro he could, he'd feel that's not true, he could've been a better Necro had he put himself to it, its not the same character.
First of all, I wasn't talking about your example, I was talking about a monk. A pre-tasha's half orc monk was terrible. 2 AC lower, 25% lower damage. Even with the other racial benefits you just end up being a clutzy weakling.

And that sucks, it makes little sense. Because while Half-orcs are (maybe) supposed to be dumber than humans, it seems really weird to argue that they're clumsier. Because that's the issue, isn't it? "Lack of an ASI" makes you bad at that ability forever. It's impossible to overcome, and its not even an interesting inhibition. It's just mathematically bad.

Meanwhile, you're acting as though the opportunity to play a nonstandard race while still having good stats is somehow ruining your roleplay. lol.
Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
Ability Scores are one of the least unique things about the various species. I think them being made part of Background like the One D&D test has it currently makes the most sense.

The abilities they have are a much better way to make them separate without pidgin-holing them in certain classes and punishing those who want to do something different.
Yeah, precisely. Goliaths having +2 STR makes them feel strong-ish, but not really more strong than a human or half elf or mountain dwarf or Githzerai. Mathematically, they're all basically the same from that POV, while all races that can get a bonus to STR are mathematically WAY stronger than any race that gets no bonus.

But what makes goliaths feel strong, actually, is that they have resistance to cold, stone's endurance, and powerful build. In terms of raw math these features are not all that signficant compared to +2 STR, but from a fluff perspective they're way more unique and compelling.

Less pigeon holing good. More distinct fluff good.

Absolute win.