1. - Top - End - #924
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Added the Deckbuilder Wizard.

I crave feedback. I’d love to see it play tested.

I’d use a regular deck of cards at the table and just write spell names on the faces as needed (or keep a legend). MtG inspired the idea but there’s no real thematic or mechanical link to the game.

It’s maybe a high level dream but I think the options it can open at lower level with down casting, no loss upcasting, and so on are interesting without being game breaking. It has a baked in call to adventure in that scroll hunting is your full time job. As is keeping two or more back up spell books.

One to hold all your spells, one for your deck, and one you can convert into your deck of the first deck is lost or destroyed.
    Mmm, some toughts from the stream:

• I would keep the spellbook only to store spells known, not to use them.
    • I would replace prepared spells entirely with the spelldeck.
    • I would add a minimum and maximum number of cards in the spelldeck, that you can "build" (or "rebuild") at the end of a long rest.
    • I would add a "hand of cards" that you draw at the beginning (of what? Of the combat? Of the day? Each time you need to cast a spell?) and from which you can choose.
    • I would add some special non-spell cards to mix inside the spelldeck (to draw, discard, shaffle, apply metamagic-like effects...), that you unlock as you level up as features, and that you can play using the relative action (bonus or "standard", depending on the card).
    • The down/upscaling mechanic is interesting, but it needs to be tested. If you introduce the "hand of cards" you could probably remove this mechanic.

More than anything, i can't see the theme of the contest in this subclass (but that's probably because I haven't figured it out yet)
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2023-02-06 at 07:52 AM.