Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
Mmm, some toughts from the stream:

• I would keep the spellbook only to store spells known, not to use them.
  • I would replace prepared spells entirely with the spelldeck.
  • I would add a minimum and maximum number of cards in the spelldeck, that you can "build" (or "rebuild") at the end of a long rest.
  • I would add a "hand of cards" that you draw at the beginning (of what? Of the combat? Of the day? Each time you need to cast a spell?) and from which you can choose.
  • I would add some special non-spell cards to mix inside the spelldeck (to draw, discard, shaffle, apply metamagic-like effects...), that you unlock as you level up as features, and that you can play using the relative action (bonus or "standard", depending on the card).
  • The down/upscaling mechanic is interesting, but it needs to be tested. If you introduce the "hand of cards" you could probably remove this mechanic.

More than anything, i can't see the theme of the contest in this subclass (but that's probably because I haven't figured it out yet)
Thank you so much for your feed back!

Contest theme includes pub games/activities like getting lit, playing darts, or cards. So this is a Wizard that uses a deck of cards.

Let me give an example of potential character types.

Wizard 1 keeps all their direct damage in the deck and prepares all their utility spells (knock, mage armor etc). In combat the potential to throw a 6d6 fireball as a first level spell is worth maybe drawing the wrong card a few rounds out of the day. At level 6, the card up their sleeve mechanic allows them to draw a card as a bonus action and hold it, they can immediately reveal it as an action for the effect, or draw a 2nd card and cast it as their action. If they know none of the spells left in the deck are concentration, they don’t risk losing the held one that they can cast later at a more opportune time.

Wizard 2 only keeps summons in their deck. A Dm could rule that summoned creatures are weakened somehow, but RAW, Dow casting would only limit their durations. Further, they could potentially Conjure Elemental as an action at an extreme discount.

Wizard 3 just keeps daily spells in the deck, mage armor, foresight, animate dead, etc. they just draw all their cards in the morning so they don’t eat up preparation slots and if they overcast, they use the refunded slots later as normal.

The Card Up Your Sleeve feature is effectively the subtle spell meta magic, unless a potential counterspeller also notices you sleight of handing the card.