Quote Originally Posted by Aimeryan View Post
Choices that are poorer than other choices are bad choices, relatively. The absolute values do not matter, this is still the case.
The absolute values do matter, and the fact that you think they don't is why we're unable to come to any kind of compromise on this. A big part of what we (those of us who want ability modifiers decoupled from species) want is a floor that is higher than a fixed ability score penalty and a ceiling that is below a fixed ability score bonus. Reattaching those, or their equivalents, to a given species to make it strictly better or strictly worse than all other options with that modifier as their key ability is the nonstarter here. As strangebloke mentioned, your key ability is "very mechanically important" (absolute value) in a way that something like increased carrying capacity or even counting as a size larger for specific calculations is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeryan View Post
As mentioned up above, these choices may be entirely build dependent, with a race/species and class combination being good for one type of build and bad for another type of build. I think many players want choices to matter, and many players who just want to build whatever combination they want without being penalised. This is why there are two divisions.
No, this is still the same false dichotomy that you and others insist on perpetuating. My presence in the "Not wanting to be penalized by absolute values" camp does not mean I don't "want choices to matter." I can and do have both in a post-Tasha's/MPMM world. Just because choosing to play an Orc Warlock is not penalizing me mathematically over an Eladrin one anymore, does not mean the choice between the two doesn't have any impact. An even cursory read of the features they get proves that belief to be false.