View Single Post

Thread: Vedalken Eldricht Knight

1. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Vedalken Eldricht Knight

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Vedalkans are not Elves, so therefore are not eligible for Elven Accuracy. If you're wanting a DEX half-feat, take a look at Skill Expert. Otherwise, you could just do +1 DEX and +1 INT as your Level 6 or 8 ASI. Taking Resilient WIS at 8 or 12 is a good plan.

Also, you don't have the stats necessary to multiclass into Paladin, which requires 13 STR and 13 CHA, unless you were to spend an ASI on +2 STR. Dipping Paladin 2 wouldn't be worthwhile anyway, especially if it cost you an ASI for basically no gain. Being a 1/3 caster, the EK doesn't have the spell slots to sustain repeated Divine Smites throughout the day, and basically all your 1st level slots will be reserved for Shield/Absorb Elements and all your 2nd and 3rd level spell slots will be reserved for Shadow Blade anyway.

2 levels of War Wizard, on the other hand, is potentially worthwhile, for the defensive ability, the boost to your higher level spell slots for upcasting Shadow Blade, access to 1st level Ritual casting, and Arcane Recovery of a 1st level slot. Here's an example of an effective DEX-based Shadow Blade Eldritch Knight build that takes 2 levels of War Wizard after hitting your 3rd Attack at EK 11: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=523 However, see above about Elven Accuracy, so the Elven Accuracy aspect of that specific Shadar-Kai EK build is not doable with a Vedalkan.

Or rather than waiting until after EK 11, you could potentially take those 2 levels of War Wizard as early as after EK 8, and just lean on War Magic for Booming Shadow Blade + BA Shadow Blade to compensate for the delay in your 3rd Attack. This would mean giving up a bit of damage from Level 11-13 in return for access to the War Wizard's defensive ability, ritual spells, Arcane Recovery, and spell slot progression several levels earlier.

Something like this:
    Vedalkan Eldritch Knight Fighter 8 -> War Wizard 2 (going straight Eldritch Knight after that)
    STR 11
    DEX 19
    CON 16
    INT 13
    WIS 13
    CHA 13
    Dueling Fighting Style
    ASIs: Warcaster at 4, 20 DEX/14 INT at 6, Resilient WIS (14 WIS) at 8
    EK Cantrips: Booming Blade, and a utility cantrip like Minor Illusion
    EK Spells: Shield, Absorb Elements, Protection from Evil and Good, and Mage Armor
    EK "Any School" Spells: Find Familiar at 3 and Shadow Blade at 8, then swap Find Familiar to something else like Misty Step once you have access to FF as a Wizard Ritual spell
    War Wizard Cantrips: Three more utility cantrips like Mage Hand, Message, and Mold Earth
    War Wizard Spells: All the 1st level Ritual spells you can get
    Yep, I made a mess, i confused elven accuracy with the bladesinger class that before was allowed only for elven kind characters and now is free to choose for every race. So, the race is elf Shadar - Kai.
    I was thinking also couple of alternatives to the war mage, but I'm not sure they gonna work as well, probably War Wizard keep being a more solid choice:

After lv 8/9 EK (or 11) go for cleric all the way, specifically Twilight, Trickery, or Tempest. Twilight protect also my allies, trickery for when I'm not in dim light or i can't cast a shadow blade, and tempest give some nova damage, both will give me good spells like spiritual weapon that keep damage up, especially when i don't cast Shadow Blade (as they both require a bonus action), but even aid and some other good spell to upcast (unluckily no counterspell, but by that time our bard should have it), and both will get also divine strike that unluckily don't stack with action surge. Probably Twilight would be stronger, but probably still below the War Wizard one.
    Gloomstalker after lv 11 is also a very nice choice (also very thematic for a Shadar Kai), but i suppose it depends on how much i feel safe with the saves at that point and how many Shadow Blade i want to cast during the day, or i have to hope to get lv 16 for see it in play (but anyway i can't add it before lv 11, so it can't be in play before lv 14).
    I was thinking also about hexblade, that again, thematically it's nice for a Shadar Kai, but the slots not stacking don't excite me so much.
    Shadow sorcerer also seem not bad, good also thematically, but it do nothing to push up defenses.
    Last edited by adb82; 2023-02-09 at 05:12 PM.