Quote Originally Posted by adb82 View Post
True, but once i get my first 3 asi's (warcaster, elven accuracy, resilient wis) at lv 8, the others can be take to bump wis to 16/18 (even 20 wis, if it will get to lv 20), and anyway it won't get spiritual weapon before character lv 11, while at lv 12 it can have already 16 wis (18 wis at character lv 16). The same can't be done with int or cha because resilient is kinda useless in that stats. But I agree with you that the war wizard rute (divination and chronurgy also are nice, but I still prefer war magic) is more optimized.
I really love the Gloomstalker option, especially for thematic reason (but that attack in the beginning of the turn that stack with action surge it's also huge), unluckily I'm not sure we ll get lv 16 for get also the war wizard archetype, but if I'll feel that Resilient and maybe lucky is enough for the mental defences, and that i don't need that many upcast of shadow blade, i would love to try it after lv 11. Unluckily it don't stack with war magic, so i can't add it in before lv 11, this make me think that the Bladesinger would be better for it, as it's double attack with cantrip stack with the Gloomstalker attack, he has better spells, earlier shadow blade, more slots, at the cost of couple lv delay on the second attack, assuming starting fighter for con saves. In theory a triclass echo knight/Gloomstalker/bladesinger could work well, but it need int and lots of ability score improvement, so probably in practice it's not that playable, even with my stats, while probably echo knight4/bladesinger x (starting with fighter 1/BS 6) or Gloomstalker 4/bladesinger x (going first BS 6) can be less difficult to build, but probably the bladesinger is better straight, without multiclass it, and that's the reason why i normally don't play it unless i want to play a wizard with insane AC, as after lv 9 it will probably play mostly as a wizard and rarely as a gish.

Ps of course it should start int 16, con 14 somehow.
I’m currently playing a BS that casts Shadowblade in every fight that matters and you’ll want to start with 13 con and grab resilient con asap anyway. So you won’t be able to get elven accuracy until level 8 unless your DM allows you to start with a free feat which mine did.

But I’m really enjoying it, and it fights very differently from a fighter, because you can only use Bladesong in a couple of fights initially so you won’t have very high AC in every fight.

However, the beauty about Shadowblade is that you can use it to fight at range. You can throw it up to 20 feet with no issue. So you can skirmish / midline when you don’t have Bladesong or it’s a fight you don’t care to have Bladesong up.

This will work until you have 4+ bladesongs a day which should allow you to frontline fight in every encounter that matters.