View Single Post

Thread: Vedalken Eldricht Knight

1. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Vedalken Eldricht Knight

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJK View Post
    Artificer is typically a better choice for a 1 level dip at the start for a caster to gain CON save proficiency. You still get Light Armor, Medium Armor, and Shield proficiency, but it doesn't slow down your spell slot progression due to the special half-caster calculations used by the Artificer class (gaining a spell level on odd numbered levels instead of even like other half-casters), and you get access to a couple additional cantrips along with a couple 1st level spells known from a spell list that's a blend of divine/nature/arcane magic so there's bound to be some options that wouldn't otherwise be available to you.

Thus, unless you're specifically planning to take Fighter 2 at some point to gain Action Surge, or you really need the fighting style or martial weapon proficiency for a gish build, Artificer 1 is typically a better choice than Fighter 1 on a spellcaster.

This is especially true for most Wizards that want armor/shield proficiency, since both Artificer and Wizard are INT-based casters.

However, I don't think dipping anything for CON save proficiency is worth it on a Bladesinger specifically, since they don't need the armor/shield proficiency, plus their access to Extra Attack is delayed to Level 6 anyway, and you don't really want to further delay it to Level 7. Most importantly, they already get +INT to Concentration checks while Bladesinging, which will apply to most serious fights. You definitely don't need both Warcaster AND CON proficiency (via dip or Resilient) on a Bladesinger.
    Yep, artificer it's nice for don't lose that much slots progression, but i like the action surge later on for add some nova to a character that, in my opinion, really need it.

I doubt my DM allow me to cast anything with a shield and a weapon in the hands without the warcaster feat, as i doubt the feat it's enough to be safe mostly of time with just +2 con, but getting wis proficiency and warcaster is good anyway, and yea, probably better; a straight bladesinger is more "powerful" in terms of utility on the table, that's sure, but i love the idea of action surge for crit fishing with SB and elven accuracy.
    Last edited by adb82; 2023-02-10 at 12:09 PM.