So, I feel I should preface this by saying I've only ever interacted with the original HP-novels (not including whatever that 8th one is called) and the bare surface of the "wizarding world" before deciding the latter was a dumpy worldbuilding nightmare. Thus, my arguments are only concerning said novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
Anyways the books in general fall apart as they get into the last novels. As children's novels Harry Potter works fine. But as you try and take it more seriously, it starts to fall apart hard.
This, combined with "tone-deafness isn't necessarily deliberate maliciousness" is why I tend to disagree with people saying she's a bad writer. Some of her personal views are.... divisive, to put it politely and forum-friendly, but her actual writing in HP is generally about as good as it has to be for the target audience of the novels. Elements like e.g. the House-Elves show some pretty notable tone-deafness on her part, and the worldbuilding falls apart once you start picking at it, but it fulfills the function it has to: allowing you to immerse yourself in the magical castle-school as a kid/young teen and letting your youthful suspension of disbelief take care of the rest. It's also why I think it falls apart more towards the later novels: they "grew with their audience", but her writing skills weren't quite growing along.

tl;dr From what I know of her viewpoints (again, won't discuss them), there's plenty of real complaints to make about Rowling without analyzing a series of children's novels as if they were mature fantasy works, rather than kid-focused British boarding school fiction in a thin fantasy jacket.