Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
I don't mean American comics. There's plenty of ones from the UK, France, and other countries that fit the same bill, but worse. Nobody gives a **** about them.
That's just not true. American superhero stuff is the one genre that requires 60 years of lore to parse and has each character have stories publusihed in three different series simultaneously, series that all need to print one issue a month. Most comic books are one-and-done.
Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
I mean what the general public would conceive of when they hear "comic book", yes. I'm not comparing Garfield or Asterix sales here, there's a clear context to this conversation.

"American superhero" is a genre, and the most popular, but the one I was just talking about doesn't even fall into said genre. People (in general) still don't care about it.
I think this might come down to different cultural views on coming books.
Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
Tbh I do it because the UK comics industry is basically dead. I don't remember anything being easily available when I was a kid bar the Dandy and the Beano (home of the real Dennis the Menace), not even 2000AD, and I'm not sure even they get physically released anymore.
It's my understanding that pretty much all of the U.K.'s publishing industry is especially borked these days.