View Single Post

Thread: When Do Limited Options Become Stifling?

1. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: When Do Limited Options Become Stifling?

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    I get that you want to represent an idea effectively, though my experience is that the issue is more about the fundamental game system than about a restrictive subset of features being enforced. I usually play 5th edition d&d and I find that wherever I try and follow some kind of character concept rather than optimize, my characters are exceptionally weak. The game itself supports certain clusters of options very well but the spaces between the classes are poorly supported.

If my issue is about not being able to play a concept I like, then I am as likely to reject a game on the basis of the system as any other restrictions.
    Interesting, I haven't ever had any real issue with creating a concept via the fundamental game systems. I only run into issues when a GM starts restricing things. But then again, that might be because I put a higher focus on the mechanical side of a build. The restrictions from the game system tend to make it a more interesting challenge, and while they can be restrictive I tend to find you can still do it effectively.

I wonder if the way the system handles the rp makes it harder to effectively make the character you're after? I honestly am not sure, as I don't really focus on the rp side of things.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2023-04-15 at 06:38 PM.