1. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Does oat milk REALLY go bad in 7-10 days?

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Who said anything about abusing anything?
    I did.

I'm saying it's a proven fact people will throw stuff way as soon as expiry date come up because well it clearly says this date right? Can't eat it after that. Store also throw away tons of food, as in literally, because we have to stick to those dates sell by dates. But as I said, they are recommendations, not hard facts. Use your nose and taste-buds. Don't solely rely on an arbitrary number. There's no telling exactly how quickly something spoils, so they tend to err on the side of caution. Not to mention it loses some of it's appeal long before it becomes actually dangerous, and frankly the seller is more concerned by that than your safety.
    You've bought into the story. It's not what's really happening. If all the food we buy starts going off before we eat it, there will be a lot more waste, less from the shops, and they will make more profits from selling the bad stuff as well as the good so they will love it, but waste overall will increase dramatically..

What is happening IF WE LET IT, is that there will be no date labels on anything. Which will mean that you will have no recourse if you get home and the product is already rotten, because "buyer beware" and you didn't. The main reason I buy big containers of stuff is that it's cheaper, if we can't buy more than we'll use in one day, things will get even more expensive, and going to the supermarket every day will be annoying.

Also I've *never* heard of expiry dates for fruits. That's why you pick and muse and examine them in the shop. Never know how long it's been sitting there. Fruits have wildly varied spoil times. Stick things next to apples and the apple release gas that accelerates the ripening process (as part of their ripening process).
    This is packaged fruits, six packs of apples, string bags of "easy peelers", oranges, labeled avacados, labeled mangos, they used to have dates on their labels, they still have the labels, but the are no dates on them since earlier this year (I don't buy vegetables, it may be the same with them, I don't know). This is here, it may not be the same where you are ,,, yet.

They were talking about doing it with milk, it's not happened here yet, but I've no doubt the shops would love it. A single pint is half the price of four pints, just think of the profit on doubling the price of anything.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2023-05-17 at 04:31 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.