Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
Several commentors have put Rogue into the Evil category and I think that's a gross misrepresentation of what the Class actually is or can do.
Rogues have two abilities which explicitly mention thievery (proficiency and thieves cant). It is difficult to reconcile that proficiency with anything except breaking the law, and as much as people try to separate breaking the law from good and evil (i.e. the law/chaos spectrum), theft is at some level an evil action. Now you can use it for good ends, but we're already in murky territory.

Their primary ability however is sneak attack. This ability, is as the name suggests, something whose greatest utility is when attacking someone unawares. This is definitely dishonourable according to any basic definition of honour (at least the common ones) and is at its core an 'assassin-like' ability. Another word with very evil overtones.

---

If we compare it to fighter. Well, who are fighters? It is very easy to be a soldier, or a guard or some other security-based (and defensively-based) martial character. While war is a complex topic, in general, it is easy to reconcile being a soldier, guard or similar profession without leaning into the cut-throat mercenary type. So fighter are at least more neutral and generally skew 'good-ish'.

Now, I don't agree with what I am saying to be honest. Guarding treasure for a rich person is its own form of theft. War is just murder with fancy words around it etc. But this is where this reading comes from.