Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
If only to play the devil's advocate, <snip> For the vast majority of the Rogues features and their actual function, they are a survivor, not an aggressor.

Ask what the Rogue is good at; running away (Cunning Action), evading damage (Uncanny Dodge, Evasion) or control (Slippery Mind) and being good at their selected fields (Expertise, Reliable Talent). Are any of those features explicitly "evil" or even have a negative connotation? The fact that Sneak Attack is prominent on the Class table goes a long way towards misinforming the reader as to what the Rogue is or is capable of; the reality is that Sneak Attack is, perhaps, the least of the Rogues (non-ribbon) class features, serving only to keep pace in the DPR game compared to those better suited to it.
So, one of the things that is interesting about this topic more broadly is that where the natural place for some classes to end up does seem to say a lot about preconceived notions about good/evil, law/chaos etc. For example, most people throw bard into chaos. Why? Because they are stereotypically gregarious? They are 'emotional' types which 'lawful' types clash with. Barbarians have a bit of a 'noble' savage vibe going on which ameliorates the 'evil' connotation but again 'rage' = chaos is a secondary meme (i.e., we've chosen to make this connection and then glued them together rather than it being obviously an illegal attitude).

For rogue, I think you are right in the sense that they are artificially maligned. The Expert sidekick class is actually closer to what I would hope the rogue was both in flavour and mechanics. Here we have cunning action, a neat help action and coordinated strike (basically sneak attack with different requirements and a nicer name). Even the word 'Rogue' is pejorative. The sneak attack aesthetic is the main thing that drives me off playing rogues because of the incentives it places on character actions. The swashbuckler is better carried by the battle-master with parry and riposte than the rogue (except for all the add-ons like uncanny dodge and cunning action). Now a rogue with superiority dice instead of sneak-attack would be an interesting mod-build.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
In short, Rogues have a bad rep because their PR isn't very good...or perhaps because they like it that way
They are slowly working on it. After all sneak attack was originally 'back-stab'...