Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
Well, that is a process. But yeah. I'm assuming you were talking about the boxed "stuffing mix" stuff, which is a bit more than just plain old bread crumbs. But even then, $8 is like twice what you would pay just going to a regular chain grocery store (yeah, I've been known to "cheat" when making stuffing myself). I've actually baked my own bread, cubed it, dried it, oiled/toasted/tossed with herbs, and still not been able to get the same flavor you get out of those boxed mixes. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But there is a point where my time is worth more than I'm saving here. I'd rather focus time on the other incredients I'm adding to my stuffing and not on the bread.
It was actual bread crumbs. I can't remember if it had a particular seasoning (like Italian seasoned bread crumbs) but it was just bread crumbs.

To make stuffing right, you need to do it with some meat. I make my stuffing with sausage, herbs, spices, some finely sliced vegetables. I use bread I have cubed and dried out in the oven at a low temp. The fat melts off the sausage and absorbs into the bread, that's what makes stuffing so good.

BTW, to be technical, "Stuffing" is when you bake it inside of the turkey or the animal. "Dressing" is when you make it separate.

But yeah. I've encounterd what's almost a cult-like following for Whole Foods, and I just don't get it. Not one bit. It's bad enough that their boxed products are like double the cost as any random grocery story you probably passed while driving to Whole Foods, but the fruits and vegetables? OMG! I can buy apples for $1 to $1.50 per pound bulk (which is usually 6-8 apples per pound depending on size) at any random grocery store, or buy like 4 apples for $2 at Whole Foods (in a funky four apple package that I then have to throw into a landfill I guess). Um.... really? But people shop there. And yeah, some people shop no where else if they can help it. Boggles the mind. I can only assume they pump aerosolized heroin though the air ducts or something.
The funny thing is there is a limited number of fruit and vegetable distributors in any given area. So the "Organic Apples" you buy at whole foods are likely from the same source as the ones you buy at Walmart.