Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
It was actual bread crumbs. I can't remember if it had a particular seasoning (like Italian seasoned bread crumbs) but it was just bread crumbs.
Huh. Actual bread crumbs? Why? I've actually seen this, but have never understood it. Even in the boxed/bagged kits, they come in crumbs or cubed, and the cubed is vastly superior. But again, if you're going to buy this pre-packaged, why not actually just buy the stuff already made specifically for making stuffing?

To make stuffing right, you need to do it with some meat. I make my stuffing with sausage, herbs, spices, some finely sliced vegetables. I use bread I have cubed and dried out in the oven at a low temp. The fat melts off the sausage and absorbs into the bread, that's what makes stuffing so good.

BTW, to be technical, "Stuffing" is when you bake it inside of the turkey or the animal. "Dressing" is when you make it separate.
Yeah. That's one of those bits where you know the technical terms, but don't know if everyone in your audience does. If you use the word "dressing", how many people will be confused and think you're talking about something you put on a salad, which, in conjunction with talk about bread crumbs/cubes will tend to take your conversation in a very different and confusing direction.

At the end of the day, whether I'm cooking it inside the animal or on the stove/oven, doesn't really make enough difference to rationalize the amount of confusion generated by using a separate term.

I love stuffing (dressing, whatever) with sausage in it as well. It is so much more yummy! But if I'm making some as a side for a shared potluck style meal, I tend to stick with just veggies, unless I'm absolutely certain that there are no non-meat eaters in the group. Even then, there's already a big ole piece of animal as the main dish, maybe give folks a protein rest in the sides? And it's not like you can't just slather it with gravey if you want to anyway (Mmmmm... Gravey...).

And speaking of gravey (or something gravey/mother-sauce adjacent): I totally use turkey dripping fat as an element in the bechemel used to make my scalloped potatoes (when there's a turkey involved of course). Cause that's just the way I roll.

The funny thing is there is a limited number of fruit and vegetable distributors in any given area. So the "Organic Apples" you buy at whole foods are likely from the same source as the ones you buy at Walmart.
That's somewhat regional and relevant legislation specific though. In theory, there are supposed to be legal guidelines as to what can and cannot be labeled "organic" when sold in a grocery store. Um... In practice, it's some really silly cobled together set of rules that are only somewhat followed and even then are not terribly consistent or sensible. And I'm pretty sure that the folks who actually work in the stores don't really care that much. I've seen enough shuffling/loading of produce around, on a single cart, back and forth beteween organic and non-organic sections that it's unlikely that these people are actually keeping any of that stuff straight.

And that's right out in front of the customers. I have very little faith in the sorting processes that go on behind the scenes where the final consumer isn't going to be able to see it. I largely see anyone shopping for "organic" foods at a chain store as just paying a gullibility tax. You want organic, go drive out to a farmers market, or sign up for a co-op and get your farm box, or whatever. Anywhere else? Probably not really worth the cost difference.

Eh. I'm a bit jaded on this. But I also think you have to pick your battles, and this really isn't a high value hill to die on.