1. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What do you perceive is harder? Being a Player or a GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Not sure why you're saying this like it's some kind of "gotcha". I'm well aware that it's the courteous thing to do, which is why I always do it.
    I still play with a few people who don't start thinking about what to do on their turn until their turn arrives. I think that's bad form, at best, and rude at worst.
    To me, it is courteous to the other players to be engaged fully in the scene, and to be thinking about how the actions and choices of the other players (and the NPCs/monsters/DM environment) - as a continuum - inform or change the decision one makes when one's turn arrives.
    I quit one game, as a player, when I got utterly fed up with the other players' inability to make a decision.
    Also, as a DM, I have said to a player "make a decision, or dodge" when they won't keep the pace of play moving.
    I'll have to actively work to keep that engagement up at some point. That feeling never happens when I'm DMing because all the different responsibilities keep my brain firing the whole time. In this way, DMing is more exhausting but also more rewarding and I always feel invested in whatever stories the players are telling - because I have to facilitate them.
    I understand what you are saying.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-06-07 at 04:25 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society