Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
I guess we have different standards for 'irrelevant', because to my mind if something has a potential game long presence and a dedicated possible ending it's not irrelevant.
As a reminder of the context here, the claim I was responding to was "No Bhaalspawn, no plot." That the game requires Bhaalspawn to happen. That is clearly not true.
Spoiler
Show
As far as the main plot, the scheme to use the Absolute to control people, goes, Bhaalspawn are pretty irrelevent. Orin is one, but is the least consequential of the three main villains, could be replaced with a non-Bhaalspawn Chosen of Bhaal with no changes to the main plot, and could be written out entirely easily.

The one thing that does depend upon Bhaalspawn is the Dark Urge origin and its sub-plot, yes. But that is optional, and not the main plot even when you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
Sure, but so are Astarion, Shadowheart and Lae’zel, at least to start.
I'd argue Shadowheart starts as True Neutral - she wants to be Neutral Evil, as a Sharran should, but isn't that selfish and malicious. She can end up either NE or NG (or least TN leaning towards NG, if she's not there yet by the end) depending on what happens at her big moment.

Lae'zel and Astarion though, yeah, that's accurate. Hell, I'm not 100% sure Astarion isn't still evil at the end even if you convince him not to go full dark side at the end of his main side quest.