Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Speaking only for myself, the lack of shapechanging vis-ą-vis eye/mouth/limb number/placement is not an issue because we know for a fact that in Stickworld the laws of drama are just as real as the laws of physics. Just as a random Azurite soldier suddenly no longer dies because they said their name, or an imp conjures up a 200 foot balor because the odds were a million to one, so too would a Protean who is s supposed to remain a mystery creature always have two eyes in same position when on camera. No action. No willful desire. No effort at all on its behalf. Nothing more than the dramatic convention necessitating it be so because it's supposed to be a mystery.
Personally I would find that super contrived, and it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Now, to be clear, I'm not saying "this is disqualifying because I expect other people and most importantly The Giant to agree with me on where the limits of acceptable artistic licence are", I'm saying "I hope that's not it because I wouldn't like it". For me it'd be a cop-out, like Julio Scoundrél's "it made for a better story" thing only a thousand times worse. If it's a Protean (which I still think might be the best candidate? I go back and forth on this) I think I would be mostly fine with the eyes not moving across transformations as long as we're shown that's just a normal characteristic of Proteans, that the transformations were indeed taking place under the cover of darkness all along and that the rules of drama had nothing to do with it