Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
See, that's one of the reasons why I prefer 1st ed over 2nd -- you start off on the Hero's Journey and you learn as you go. 2e, I don't like it for the reason you just gave. Plus, if you have a more dominant person at the table, everyone uses their actions to support them (imo). Also, I didn't like some of the changes 2e made to Theah (though I did appreciate them adding a badass Poland equivalent). I couldn't adapt my favorite PCs to 2e and still enjoy them.
You see I liked the zero to hero stuff until I played games with flatter power curves, where our characters began reasonably competent and ended as slightly more competent. I don't want to be a master swordsman who's never left the academy, I want to be an accomplished soldier who is good at fighting but also decent at a bunch of stuff (navigating on land, setting up camp, haggling for supplies, foraging, probably sailing if we're on a ship). I much prefer 2e erring on the side of genetically competent, it can go too far but at least you don't have to pick between hyper focused and uselessly broad

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The main problem with 7th Sea, at least when I first played it during 1st Edition, is that it was a pirate game with no New World in it.

How can you have Pirates of the Caribbean with no Caribbean?

Still a pretty good game though.

One of the NPCs in one of the 1E nation books is actually based on me. The writer is a friend.
2e vastly expands the world, whereas the corebook is still just Theah there's sourcebooks fleshing out counterparts to Africa, the Americas, and Asia (with East Asia apparently being a different game with different themes?). There's even a version of the East India Company.

It's not for everyone, but at least the world is broader.

EDIT:
I like Shadowrun (though I stopped following it after 3rd Edition. What are they on now, 6th?) and Space: 1889 too, though come to think of it, I've never actually played Space: 1889.
Shadowrun is on 6e now, which is somewhat divisive. I like it, the bloat in the skill list has been cut and a lot of situational bonuses have become 'give a point of Edge*', but those are also some of the reasons others dislike it.

(I was however admittedly quite lucky, only picking up the corebook after it was fixed. I hear the first two printings had some major issues.)

* basically Fate Points.