1. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The UK exists in this weird form of using Metric and Imperial both - like, you get your petrol in liters but go to the pub for a nice pint, and make sure you keep under 35 kilometers per hour as you make a day trip to the next town which is just miles away.
    Er, not exactly, and not that Canadian chart.

Wine is in metric, milk is in pints with metric as a translation, 6 pints = 3.408 litres (these are UK pints with 20 fluid ounces in them, I think UK fluid ounces are similar to USA ones, but I couldn't swear they are identical).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_ounce

An imperial fluid ounce is 1⁄20 of an imperial pint, 1⁄160 of an imperial gallon or exactly 28.4130625 mL.

A US customary fluid ounce is 1⁄16 of a US liquid pint and 1⁄128 of a US liquid gallon or exactly 29.5735295625 mL, making it about 4.08% larger than the imperial fluid ounce.
    Speed limits are in miles per hour (up to 70 on motorways, recently 20 in some towns, mostly 30 in towns otherwise), chocolate in metric, jam in metric but to pound limits (454 grams).

Body weight is in kilos if it's medical, but my old lcd home scales can do metric, stones and pounds (you don't get decimals of stones, you get pounds up to 13, and quarter pounds or half pounds if there are any of those), or USAian pounds probably because they were made in China.

Brexit has somewhat delayed the spread of metrication.

Science is almost entirely metric, but that's more or less true everywhere.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-02-29 at 03:46 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.