View Single Post

Thread: A weird thing about monsters

1. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A weird thing about monsters

In regards to the comment that Fighters, Barbarians, and Rogues do not have Wisdom Save Throw Proficiency:

Fighters have the Indomitable power, (which appears to be getting a buff in 1D&D) and the Samurai Subclass exists, which adds Proficiency in Wisdom saving throws, at some point.

Rogues also receive Proficiency in Wisdom Saving Throws at 15th level.

Berserker Barbarians receive Mindless Rage at 6th level. When Olaf shows you their “Metal Face”, they can not be charmed.

Zealot Barbarians receive a Saving Throw Failure Re-roll option at 6th level, and receive Zealous Presence at 10th level, which buffs the attack and Saving Throws of 10 creatures for a turn.

There is also, many a good reason why the Lucky Feat appears on most late game builds.

I will say, I am sympathetic to the notion that all Saving Throws for PCs should receive some Advancement…the tricky part is in the details.

I have used a Houserule, in which a PCs ‘off saving throws’ would receive a bonus equal to their Proficiency Bonus divided by 3.

The change did not make much of a difference, in the feel of the game per the players. 5e, as a system is ‘swingy’, and designed so that die rolls have less pre-determined conclusions, and chance plays a larger role.

High Level play in 3e could almost be ran without dice…a PC couldn’t fail at certain things, and couldn’t succeed at others. 5e, does not escape this issue, but it suffers from it to a much lesser.

(Edit, many other posts were uploaded, by the time I finished this…)
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-03-12 at 09:02 AM.