Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
It seems like it would need some pretty intricate wording to work as I think you're asking it to. I'm not against the idea, but I think it could go a couple of different ways, depending on how complicated you want to make it (and how future proof you want it to be).
Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
I wouldn't mind a return to the Fortitude/Reflex/Willpower saves of yore. Especially if it makes it easier to justify improving saves as you level.

With three, it'd be easy to go Full/Half/Third PB bonus. Follow 4th Ed's example, having a choice of 2 stats to generate the save: Con/Str for Fort; Dex/Int for Ref; Cha/Wis for Will. Resilient could then boost your 1/3 to Full as a full feat, or 1/2 to Full as a half feat.

If you're really into keeping folks from min-maxing, you could, instead of picking the better of the two stats for the feat, take the average. This would encourage more well rounded stat distribution.
If it were up to me, really up to me and I had to work with 5e as a base, I'd return saves to Fort/Ref/Will (it is a good model and works for basically everything, I see no reason to ditch it other than to reduce the amount of derived statistics), make proficiency bonus equal half your level (always round down for everything further on) and split proficiency into tiers of Untrained (+stat only), Basic (+1/2 PB), Trained (+3/4 PB), Expert (+PB).

Then split up weapon attacks and spell attacks into different proficiencies (possibly with spell attacks vs Save DC replacing saving throws?), and add "defense proficiency" to all classes, with pure casters getting either untrained or basic defense prof, and martials getting either trained (monk supplements that with WIS and ends up quite tanky indirectly, but it's more MAD, barb with CON (maybe barb gets basic, even, to really play into "I just tank hits, it's fine"), rogue just doesn't want to be targeted often and will have to play off active defenses and reactions) or expert (Fighter deserves something, dammit) defense prof. Skills are probably gonna be an issue, because they really need another step past Expert for PB x2.

Saves therefore go, per class: either one Expert, one Trained, one Untrained, or one Expert and two Basic, or three Trained (slightly better total, not as great in anything - maybe not the best idea?). Diamond Soul punches you up to all Expert and really seals the deal on high-level Monk tankiness, or something. There are feats (feats are uncoupled from ASIs in this theoretical hack) that allow you to bump one save one rank up, but perhaps it can only be taken once.

The funny thing is, if you drop all the dull +X magic items, the general math seems to generally work out. Maybe some synergies need nerfs and some higher-level enemies need a few buffs (or armor could stand to lose a couple points of base AC), but in a hack of that depth, I'd have to figure that out anyways.