1. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIX: The Potted Plant Is Starting To Look Reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Given the guarantees I've stated, betting nothing at all would be fundamentally irrational (the 2 and 4 combination can get much money and can't lose any), but I suspect some people would have enough of an aversion to gambling to choose it anyway.
    Well, duh. Any deal too good to be true is likely to be precisely that. So if this entity presents such a deal, possibly hinting with a smile that certain betting pattern is guaranteed to gain me money, the only rational conclusion I can reach is that it's a scam, and that I shouldn't just walk way, but probably run.

And if it is NOT a scam, I am still left in a position where the bad feelings from potentially losing easily surpass any good feelings I could get. The anxiety alone would add such a malus to the potential gains that makes any betting just impossible.

Also, is Ox once again claiming people said thing that no-one has actually said? Is it Thursday already?

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2024-03-14 at 06:21 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est