View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1299 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A.) I said you seem confused as to why Americans joke that British food is subpar, despite being told twice that it is not a uniquely American joke. This has nothing to do with American associations of British adaptations on cuisine. This has to do with "this joke is not uniquely American despite your continued belief that it is". You still seem uncertain on this point.
    Nope I'm pretty clear on it, it's as a i said above.

Where did I say the 'joke' is uniquely american? I just find it a bit more strange coming from US people than Europeans, given how similar American and English diets are.

2.) Fried chicken is an American dish. American bbq, unsurprisingly, originated in America. Every example i gave is an American dish. Claiming that fried chicken exists in many cultures is technically true, in much the same sense that cooking meat in general occurs in many cultures. You're ignoring how the food is prepared and cooked and then conflating it all as the same thing. This is, quite simply, not how regional culinary tradition works. By such reasoning, American pulled pork and korean bulgogi is the same dish.

You quoted me but did not seem to reply to anything i said. If that quote was in error, and my re-explaining my prior points in more detail was unneeded due to that mistake, i apologize in advance.
    Yes, that's what I said. Fried chickrn and american bbq are american dishes in the same way as apple pie and British bbq (amongst various other things) are British dishes. Do we agree about that?
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2024-03-22 at 01:27 AM.