1. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIX: The Potted Plant Is Starting To Look Reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    I think at this point the meta(?)/tail-wags-dog nature of things means that the reveal will be dramatic...just perhaps not in the context of the story. How many threads/pages/posts about the subject?

- M
    The internet can make anything dramatic, I'll grant you. But yes, the fact some people seem to have invested a lot of energy into proclaiming they are correct and that they'll show us all and will be back to say the rest of us "See! I told you it was a [psammead/tarrasque/green quiddity god/Pun-Pun/etc etc etc ad nauseam]" will inevitably hit the wall of reality that they can't all in fact be correct, and that very well might lead to High Internet Drama (tm) and what have you on the thread associated to that page.

But I don't care one whit about any of that. Especially not to the current analysis of what MitD will turn out to be. The only reason it is even brought up now is because Ox still seems to be basing what can generously be called "analysis" on what he claims where Rich's intentions when MitD was thought up, and how his claims clash with the realty of what we do know about Rich's intentions. I see no reason to think Rich intended MitD's reveal to be dramatic, and I'm pretty sure that at the time of comic ~100 he had no inkling of just how big this comic would become in time and thus might be meta-dramatic because of the build up of expectations. I also am pretty sure that even if he had, he would not have tailored the story to these hypothetical reader's drama expectations, because Rich is very clearly in the "I write for myself" camp not in the "I write to please all my readers" camp. See also e.g. his counter-reaction to "certain" reader's reaction to LGBT presence in his comic.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2024-03-22 at 12:35 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est